Thursday, March 10, 2016

First day of Teaching - A Success!

Today was the first day of teaching in Social Studies with my group (Mallory Menneci, Rose Linehan, Kim Rivera, Jenna York and Sarah Lehrfield). The last couple of weeks have been filled with hard work, compromise, group collaboration in order to make this first day go so well. We taught a direct lesson which means that the teacher talks and teaches for the whole class with little student interaction. Kim started out the introduction of the lesson and pre-assessed the students knowledge. She also explained the vocabulary booklets and signals for attention. Next, we transitioned right into the vocabulary words. I think that we did very well in describing each word and relating it to the 2nd grade's lives.

We also worked on introducing the word instead of saying, "and the next word is...". I had the word president and I explained to the students the main roles of the president and guidelines for being a president. I also showed an exciting president video which I really loved! Although it may not have been completely educational I believe it is important to break up 2nd grade learning. Students need a mental break and the students really loved it. It was very funny and appropriate for 2nd grade. Next we moved right into the guided practice. I explained the practice and also modeled with Kim. This went very well and the student's understood what was expected of them. Students matched the correct vocabulary word to the definition. However, they did so by an action. For example, my word was president. When each student heard the correct definition, they spun around once and sat down. This worked well because we were able to get individual opinions but also were able to engage the students and even get them out of their seats! The next guided practice was a brainstorming bubble that I also directed. I was particularly proud of how I directed this activity. I explained the students the activity and then gave an example for students to copy down.
I then, gave guidelines for students to base their thoughts off of. For instance, students explained that an active citizen would recycle and pick up garbage in order to help the environment. I also provided room for students to write down a person or people they know that are active citizens. The students even shared with their class! It was wonderful to hear how much this class and their families and friends are involved in helping their communities and at home. Finally, Kim closed out the lesson and went through the independent practice with the class by reading the questions and providing time for students to answer individually. Overall, my group was very divided in making our lesson but when it came to that day and to our overall lesson we were able to come to our senses and create a great Direct Lesson. The only way I would have changed my instruction would be in getting my students involved ad excited (and I wish I didn't say fun). We were the last group so I learned so much of what I should and shouldn't do and I finally made it through the entire lesson without saying "guys"! Yay! (It was not easy but I am breaking my habits slowly).

I just want to reflect on my outlook of teaching. Words can't describe how nervous and stressed I was the first day of class. Helpful criticism was extremely hard to give and receive for many of us after how much work we put into our lessons. However, I learned so much and it truly has helped me improve myself. I can now say that I have improved my academic language and have become increasingly more confident in teaching. I am proud of how far I have come and look forward to my future as an elementary school teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment